In order, from not-as-bad to downright terrible, the worst jobs in science as ranked by Popular Science magazine:
• Whale-feces researcher: The feces part just smells bad.
• Forensic entomologist: Studying bugs on corpses combines two unpleasant things.
• Olympic drug tester: Watching athletes urinate into cups and testing samples thousands of times during the Games can't be fun.
• Gravity research subject: Stays in bed for three weeks and lets muscles atrophy.
• Microsoft security worker: Deals with every Microsoft user's problems.
• Preserved-animal preparer: Bottles frogs, cats and pigs for biology students.
• Garbologist: Sifts through garbage, literally, to analyze consumption patterns and how quickly waste breaks down.
• Elephant vasectomist: Elephants are big, and so are their testicles.
• Oceanographer: Pollution, overfishing and coral reef destruction mean the oceans keep getting worse.
• Hazardous-materials diver: Swimming in sewage is a dirty task.
read more at
From Ames police reports:
July 26, 2007: City workers were held at bay by what appeared to be a rabid woodchuck at South 16th Street and Apple Place.
The woodchuck, according to police reports, would not let the workers get back into their trucks near the BMX Bike Park.
The woodchuck reportedly fled the scene, and police were unable to locate it.